How to Read Fabric Cleaning Codes?
It is very important to know how to read fabric cleaning codes when shopping for fabric, especially if it will be used in a high traffic area. Cleaning Codes are established by the Joint Industry Fabric Standards Committee.
Greenhouse Fabrics provides our customers with cleaning specifications on all of our fabrics, in sample books, as well as on our website. For your convenience we have included a brief description for each cleaning code below.
DC- Dry Clean ONLY
W/S- Spot clean with an upholstery shampoo, foam from mild detergent,
or a mild dry cleaning solvent.
Do not saturate.
S- Spot clean only with a water-free dry cleaning solvent.
Do not saturate or use water.
When cleaning a spill, blot immediately to remove spilled material.
W- Spot clean only with a water based shampoo or foam upholstery cleaner.
Do not oversaturate or use solvents to spot clean.
Blot immediately to remove any spilled material.
X- Clean only by vacuuming or light brushing with a non-metallic, stiff bristle brush.
Before proceeding with any of the cleaning processes above, pretest a small inconspicuous area.
Additional Cleaning Recommendations:
- Clean spots or stains from outside to the middle of the affected area to prevent circling.
- Cushion covers should not be removed for laundering or dry cleaning.
- Hot water extraction or steam cleaning is not a recommended method of cleaning.
- Pile fabrics may require brushing with a non-metallic, stiff bristle brush to restore appearance.
- To prevent overall soiling, frequent vacuuming or light brushing with a non-metallic, stiff brush to remove dust and grime is recommended.
- For overall cleaning, we recommend contacting a professional furniture cleaning service.
For Questions, please contact your customer & fabric specialist today!
866-755-5000 / www.greenhousefabrics.com